complex adj : complicated in structure; consisting of interconnected parts; "a complex set of variations based on a simple folk melody"; "a complex mass of diverse laws and customs" [ant: simple]
1 a conceptual whole made up of complicated and related parts; "the complex of shopping malls, houses, and roads created a new town" [syn: composite]
2 a compound described in terms of the central atom to which other atoms are bound or coordinated [syn: coordination compound]
3 (psychoanalysis) a combination of emotions and impulses that have been rejected from awareness but still influence a person's behavior
4 a whole structure (as a building) made up of interconnected or related structures [syn: building complex]
Adjectivecomplex ( more complex, most complex)
not simple or straightforward
- Finnish: monimutkainen
- French: complexe
- Hebrew: מורכב (murkav) , מורכבת (murkevet)
- Japanese: 複雑な (fukuzatsuna)
- Polish: skomplikowany , złożony
- Romanian: complex
- Russian: сложный
- Spanish: complicado
- Swedish: komplex, komplicerad
- Telugu: సంక్లిష్టమైన (samklishtamaina)
- A problem.
- A collection of buildings with a common purpose, such as a university or military base.
- A psychologically based
dislike or fear of a particular thing.
- Jim has a real complex about working for a woman boss.
- A thunderstorm that forms when two storm fronts collide.
- A structure consisting of a central atom or molecule weakly connected to surrounding atoms or molecules.
Translationsproblem See problem
psychologically based dislike or fear
- Finnish: kompleksi
- Polish: kompleks
- Russian: комплекс
thunderstorm that forms when two storm fronts collide
- Finnish: kompleksi
- To form a complex with another substance
- Italian: complessare
A complex is a whole that comprehends a number of parts, especially one with interconnected or mutually related parts. It may refer to:
- Complex (chemistry), also called a "coordination compound" or "metal complex", is a structure consisting of a central atom or molecule weakly connected to surrounding atoms or molecules.
- Complex (psychology), a group of mental factors that are unconsciously associated by the individual with a particular subject and influence the individual's attitude and behavior.
- In geology, a complex is an assemblage of different rocks of any age origin that have been folded, intricately mixed, involved, or otherwise complicated, such that the rocks cannot be readily differentiated in mapping.
- A building complex is a collection of interconnected buildings with a common purpose or which are somehow related.
- A complex in the taxonomy of biology is a cluster of species so closely related that they intergrade, can interbreed, and are difficult to firmly distinguish except at the extremes of their ranges
- A complex number is a number of the form "a + bi", where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary number.
- A complex system is a system of interconnected simple parts that together exhibit a high degree of computational complexity from which emerges a higher order behavior.
- An abbreviation for complex analysis, the study of functions of complex numbers.
- A complex is an element of a complex algebra or field of sets.
- A chain complex is a (possibly long) sequence of maps.
- A simplicial complex is a kind of topological space that can be divided into fully adjacent triangles, or more generally, into simplices.
- A CW complex, or closure-finite weak complex, is a kind of topological space, a generalization of the simplicial complex.
- A 'mimicry complex' is a group of organisms involved in mimicry, being made of one or more mimics, models and dupes.
complex in Chinese: 复杂
complex in Danish: Kompleks
complex in German: Komplex
complex in Spanish: Complejo
complex in French: Complexe
complex in Indonesian: Kompleks
complex in Dutch: Complex
complex in Japanese: コンプレックス (曖昧さ回避)
complex in Norwegian: Kompleks
complex in Swedish: Komplex
Byzantine, Chinese puzzle, Diana complex, Electra complex, Gordian knot, Herculean, Oedipus complex, Rube Goldberg contraption, abstruse, acculturation, amalgamated, ambiguous, ambivalent, amphibious, arduous, baffling, balled up, bewildering, beyond one, blended, brutal, can of worms, castration complex, civilization, collectivity, combined, complicated, composite, compound, compounded, compulsion, confounded, confounding, confused, confusing, conglomerate, convoluted, crabbed, cramp, critical, cultural drift, culture, culture area, culture center, culture complex, culture conflict, culture contact, culture pattern, culture trait, daedal, dappled, delicate, demanding, devious, difficile, difficult, distracting, disturbing, eclectic, elaborate, embodiment, embrangled, entangled, entirety, equivocal, ethos, exacting, fascination, father complex, fifty-fifty, fixation, fixed idea, folkways, formidable, fouled up, garbled, gordian, hairy, half-and-half, hang-up, hard, hard to understand, hard-earned, hard-fought, heterogeneous, hypercathexis, idee fixe, implicated, indiscriminate, inferiority complex, integer, integration, integrity, intricate, involute, involuted, involved, ironic, irresistible impulse, jawbreaking, jumbled, jungle, key trait, knot, knotted, knotty, laborious, labyrinth, labyrinthian, labyrinthine, loused up, many-faceted, many-sided, matted, maze, mazy, mean, meander, meandering, medley, mesh, mess, messed up, mingled, miscellaneous, mixed, mixed up, mixed-up, monomania, morbid drive, mores, mother complex, motley, mucked up, multifaceted, multifarious, multinational, multiracial, mysterious, mystifying, no picnic, not easy, obfuscated, obscure, obscured, obsession, obsessive compulsion, oneness, operose, organic unity, overtechnical, parent complex, patchy, perplex, perplexed, perplexing, persecution complex, pluralistic, possession, preoccupation, prepossession, promiscuous, puzzling, ramified, ravel, reticular, rigorous, rough, roundabout, rugged, ruling passion, scrambled, screwed up, set with thorns, severe, snafu, snake pit, snarl, snarled, society, sophisticated, spiny, steep, strenuous, subtle, superiority complex, syncretic, tangle, tangled, tangled skein, tangly, thorny, thrown together, tic, ticklish, toilsome, totality, tough, trait, trait-complex, tricky, twisted, unity, uphill, vague, varied, webwork, wheels within wheels, whole, wicked, wilderness